Sunday, May 9, 2010

Site Visit (Also a month late)

So, this week was definitely interesting. I arrived in Kigali along with my other trainees. Peace Corps put us in a very nice hotel. We stayed in 2 person bungalows and ate like royalty. It was definitely the best food I have had since I have arrived here.

During the time in Kigali, I attended a two day conference/job fair, where I was introduced to members of WIF was and told more about my organization. I was fortunate enough to have multiple members of my organization in attendance including my director and community guide. I found out that the main office for WIF is located in Kigali and that the workers commute to Rulindo and its neighboring district Gekenke when necessary. They are excited to have me live in Rulindo and be a community based representative for the organization. There appears to be a lot of responsibility that goes hand in hand with that which is exciting to know.

Since my house in Rulindo has not been furnished, Peace Corps decided it would be best if I stayed with my director at her home in Kigali for the week with the idea that I would commute to my site everyday along with my community guide to get a glimpse into what my life will be like for the next two years. It was a little disappointing to not be able to live and sleep at my site but I at least was excited to go and see it.

Ultimately, it was a good week. I had a great time getting to know all of my future coworkers My director is a wonderful woman and treated me with such hospitality. I was so spoiled...it was wonderful. Her home was beautiful and it was so nice to be in a family settingg. I got my own room to sleep (much different from sharing one with 3 other people), got to eat a club sandwich and french fries (her daughters took me out for American food), and got to watch Dr. 90210, E! True Hollywood Story, and Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Life was pretty great for the week I was there.

There is still a lot that needs to be worked out regarding my housing and what exactly my job requires. I have only a vague idea of what my director wants me to be responsible for and what projects I will be working on. I know it will take time to figure out what my role will be in the organization and that probably will not even happen until I actually get there.

Of course, Rulindo is beautiful. It is a large district. I am living in the Bushoki sector which is quite remote and mountainous. Looking back, I wish I would have taken some pictures but I guess I have two years to do that. There are few people who speak English so I am definitely going to have to work hard these next few weeks to develop more of my language skills. I am glad to have four more weeks of training to work on that.

1 comment:

  1. Keri, your blogs are great I just started reading them tonight (6/28/10) and found them very entertaining. I enjoyed that part about you watching the E! network there and the kardashian show. Congrats on becoming a volunteer hard work always pays off!!
    -Jacek

    ReplyDelete