Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Dear family and friends,

I know it has been a while since my last updaye. Please forgive me for that. It is difficult for me to even know where to start! First and foremost, Grandma Marge and Grandpa Bob, thank you both so much for all of the letters and packages. I have recieved so much joy reading about the quirky things that are going on back at home. I especially enjoy your style and presentation. I have found the familiarity of your writing and arrangement of gifts, which are so specific to your personality, to be very comforting and special. Speaking of style and presentation, I want to thank you, Mom, for the cards that you sent. How perfect they were! Your humor is one of the many things I miss so much about you.

So, I have realized that living in a developing country is a wonderful time for self-exploration. There is so much I have learned about myself so far. Let me explain... I never knew I was a fan of beans and pumpkin. Cooked together, they make the most wonderful meal! I never thought I would be voted president of the "Eaters Club" in Rwanda (thanks to my neighbors who feed me every night), and Vice President of the girls soccer club in my village (keep in mind that I have never played a game of soccer before coming here). I never thought I would have a baby named after me (I have yet to meet her so I am hesitant to believe it is true). My popularity status has certainly rise to its highest degree since my arrival at site. I never thought I would become comfortable with unexpected visits from strangers who know all about me, waking up on Saturday mornings at 7 a.m., and accepting the fact that old women here are ten times more stronger than I am. I never thought I would be able to start a fire without using lighter fluid, cook rice without a measuring cup, build relationships with people without speaking their language, speak in front of big crowds without hyperventilating or breaking out in hives, and actually enjoy being a vegetarian (for the most part). My life here has become quite strange, but wonderfully so.

As far as work is concerned, I am still settling into it. It has been a slow process but will hopefully be starting some projects in my community soon. Right now, I am just taking advantage of getting to know my community and building trust here.

Please know I am well, safe, and happy. Continue to think of me and send me good thoughts. I encourage anyone who has the desire to come visit and experience this unusual way of life to please do so. You have no idea how special living purely can be.

Love,
Kerianne

1 comment:

  1. WOW... It sounds like a great experience! I enjoy reading your posts and hearing about what is going on with you! So happy you are getting along well.

    ReplyDelete