Saturday, October 10, 2009

My new placement is in...


My new placement is in Rwanda, Africa! I am going to be working in the Health, HIV/AIDS, Organizational Capacity Development program. Volunteers work on health and community development assignments, including collaborating with the Rwandan government and its U.S. government partners to combat the HIV/AIDS pandemic. My departure date is February 22, 2010. I will be part of the third group of volunteers to arrive in Rwanda since the genocide in 1994.

Before I accepted my invitation, I spent a lot of time on the computer researching the area. I had this preconcieved notion (I am sure I am not alone) that the country was unstable due to it's history and location. I was not about to accept an invitation to a place that was unsafe. It did not take long for me to realize that Rwanda, though an island in what most would call a volatile region, is stable and safe in most areas. Political and ethnic violence has been eradicated. There is now a high level of internal security. The government is pushing to unify the nation. Human rights are now being respected due to changes in the law. The culture is becoming more egalitarian. Gender equality has become a priority. Poverty and hunger are being addressed.

Rwanda is proving to be a counrty that is looking to prosper. The vision of Rwanda is too transform itself into a middle-income country by the year 2020. In order to succeed, Rwanda needs the assistance of humanitarian programs including Peace Corps to address the issue of HIV/AIDS. To be invited to take part in this initiative in Rwanda is..at the risk of sounding incredibly cliché...an honor.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is wonderful...I appreciate being privy to this amazing process/journey/adventure you are undertaking. What are you doing right now? Take care and keep us all posted, Keri. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning. I haven't heard anything, so I am certain you are now on Rwanda soil. You have taken the second step to doing something "strange and extravagant." Lots of love and pride coming your way. Mom
    P.S. De and Tristan are fine.

    ReplyDelete